90ºF

Firefighters: Fire that damaged Grand Park home possibly caused by heater

No one injured in fire that gutted home, firefighters say

photo

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Firefighters believe a kerosene heater could be to blame for a fire that destroyed a home in Jacksonville's Grand Park neighborhood.

The fire, on West 10th Street, near Edward Waters College, also damaged a nearby home.

Jacksonville firefighters got the call about 9:30 a.m. and were able to contain the fire within 20 minutes, but heavy flames and smoke left major damage in the home. A neighboring home suffered superficial damage from the fire spreading, firefighters said.

The home was empty at the time, and no one was injured, firefighters said.

A woman who lives across the street owns the neighboring home that was also damaged. She said her grandson sometimes stays in the house.

The fire started at the back of the house, where there is a kitchen and bedroom.

Firefighters said a kerosene space heater was being used inside the home, which could have caused the fire, but it's still under investigation. The State Fire Marshal will determine the exact cause of the fire.

Firefighters said whatever the official cause of Friday's fire, it's a reminder, since it’s going to be another cold night, to use caution if you're using a space heater or candles.

"The fires always seem to kick up when the cold spells come," District Chief Patrick Gouin said. "People have to really be safe with their space heaters, make sure they don't have any clothes or anything, curtains around them, candles -- make sure you're blowing your candles out when you leave the house."


About the Author: