59ºF

Man accused of raping 2 women pleads not guilty

Police say Charles Carter offered women cigarettes before sexual assaults

photo

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A man accused of raping two women on West Moncrief Road last month pleaded not guilty in Duval County Court on Tuesday to two counts of sexual assault.

Charles Carter, 30, is being held without bond and will be in court again March 7.

Sex crimes investigators said two women came forward at separate times, but reported being attacked in the same geographic area. Both women said the man offered them cigarettes before they were attacked.

"What brought it to our attention was it was in the same area geographically, and it was the same ruse used both times to get victims into (an) abandoned building," Special Assault Unit Lt. Sharon Scott said after Carter was arrested last month.

Police said they asked the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to expedite DNA tests, and when the results were a match with Carter, they obtained an arrest warrant. While waiting for the results, officers watched the area in case there were additional attacks. 

According to court records, Carter had domestic violence injunctions filed against him in 2009 and 2014 and was arrested in 2014 and 2015 on a charge of violation of injunction for protection against domestic violence.

Police are asking any other women who might have been approached by Carter to call them at 904-630-0500.