74ºF

Woman escapes fire, saves roomates; mobile home destroyed

Pet dog, pet snake also saved

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. – An early morning fire destroyed a mobile home in St. Augustine. A female resident woke up to the fire and was able to get two other residents out safely.

A pet dog, and a pet snake were inside when the fire started, both are safe.

"It's horrible. It hasn't sunk in yet, completely," Chad Walle, the homeowner said. "But I'm OK, we're OK. I'll buy another place. Everything is replaceable. Tomorrow's going to be a long day."

Walle who said that he doesn't have insurance, said he woke up to his roommate telling him that her car was on fire. 

"When I went outside the back of the house was covered in fire," Walle said.  "I woke up and smoke was in her bedroom."

Firefighters responded to a call just after 3:30 a.m., arriving at the mobile home on Usina Road Extension. 

The state fire marshal is investigating. 


About the Author: