2 facing grand theft auto, other charges in St. Johns County

Deputies: Men stole classic truck, Nissan; 1 tried to run over deputy

ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. – Two St. Johns County men are facing charges after deputies said they stole two vehicles on the same night and one of them tried to run over a deputy when they were caught.

Solomon Kenzo, 38, was arrested early Thursday morning and charged with two counts of grand theft auto, possession of burglary tools and resisting arrest without violence. He was booked into the county jail on bonds totaling $16,500.

David Wayne Corbett, 32, is charged with grand theft auto, aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer and aggravated fleeing and attempting to elude. He was booked into the county jail on bonds totaling $23,500.

The men are accused of stealing a 1979 Ford F-100 from Sargeant’s Service Center on U.S. 1 South shortly after midnight.

“There's a sense of violation that goes with it,” said Mike Sargeant, who owns the repair shop.

He said he's considering surveillance cameras for outside his business after the theft.

“Everything has to be secured and don't let your guard down,” Sargeant said.

The men drove the truck about a mile to a Circle K convenience store at U.S. 1 South and Wildwood Drive, then took a 2006 Nissan that had been left running at the gas station, deputies said.

“We would always advise anyone that if you pull into a convenience store, and if you pull into the driveway of your home, anywhere you go, you should never leave the car unattended and running,” St. Johns County Sheriff's Office spokesman Cmdr. Chuck Mulligan said.

Deputies said witnesses followed the men and called police after the men took off in the car.

Deputies responded and pulled the Nissan over near A1A South and Espanita Boulevard, where Kenzo was captured.

The driver, identified as Corbett, attempted to strike a deputy with the vehicle and drove off at a high rate of speed, deputies said.

Corbett was found Thursday afternoon at St. Augustine Shores after authorities received a coincidental emergency call saying that he needed medical attention. They showed up, treated him and arrested him.

Additional charges are pending further investigation, deputies said.