JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – From March 18 to April 2, 2017, St. Johns RIVERKEEPER is encouraging kayak outfitters, tour boat operators, local governments, nonprofit organizations, civic groups, and individuals to help activate the St. Johns River from its headwaters to its mouth.
The Save the St. Johns: Activate the River campaign aims to get people out on the water to save the river. Eco-tours, paddling trips, and outings will be scheduled throughout the St. Johns River watershed to introduce people to the St. Johns and its tributaries, show support for clean water and a healthy river, and demonstrate what we stand to lose if we don’t speak up for the St. Johns.
The campaign website (www.savethestjohns.org) will serve as a clearinghouse for the various events and opportunities for the public to experience this magical yet imperiled waterway and show support for its protection.
By getting out on the water from March 18 to April 2, 2017, we will:
· Raise awareness of the wildlife, beauty, and special places that make the St. Johns such an important waterway and the pollution problems that threaten our river’s future.
· Provide opportunities for people to experience the river and its tributaries and springs.
· Showcase the tremendous recreational and economic opportunities provided by the St. Johns.
· Highlight some of the businesses that depend on the St. Johns and the economic benefits of a clean and healthy river.
· Demonstrate strong public support for protecting and restoring our river.
· Send a powerful message to our elected leaders that we must Save the St. Johns.
· Have fun exploring one of our state’s most important waterways!