86ºF

Nassau County extends burn ban through April 26

State of emergency extended as dry conditions persist after wildfires

photo

NASSAU COUNTY, Fla. – The Nassau County Board of Commissioners voted Wednesday to again extended a burn ban that makes it illegal to burn yard debris or trash, because of high fire danger. 

The commissioners said when they enacted the ban that dry conditions have created a state of emergency prompting them to prohibit all outdoor burning. The ban is effective through April 26, unless county commissioners decide to extend it for the fourth time.

Burning with a Florida Forestry permit is still allowed, along with cooking on barbecue equipment, as long as the grill is monitored.

The burn ban was initially enacted March 31 as firefighters battled a 40-acre brush fire just east of Yulee and after a massive wildfire that destroyed two homes and damaged 19 structures in the Bryceville area. 

There have been several other smaller brush fires around the county since then.

County commissioners decided to extend the area's initial burn ban after Nassau County Fire Rescue Assistant Chief Scott Hemingway said conditions are still dangerous.