59ºF

1 injured in Middleburg house fire caused by debris burn

Photo courtesy: Clay County Fire Rescue
Photo courtesy: Clay County Fire Rescue

MIDDLEBURG, Fla. – One person was injured after an outside debris fire spread to a home Wednesday in Middleburg, Clay County Fire Rescue said.

Firefighters responded about 2:15 p.m. to a home on Broom Court near Cactus Court, arriving in just seven minutes after the initial call for help stated the "entire house is on fire," Fire Rescue said.

Officials said multiple units with over 20 firefighters battled the blaze until it was under control about 2:45 p.m.

The home was a total loss, and nearly everything in it was lost as well, according to Fire Rescue.

Fire Rescue said no firefighters were injured, but one person was transported to the hospital with minor burns and a dog was lost due to the fire.

The Red Cross will be assisting the displaced family, Fire Rescue said.

The State Fire Marshal found the cause of the fire was from an outside debris fire the occupants burned within feet of their home. 

Fire officials said they want to bring attention to to the public of how important it is to adhere to burning regulations and burn bans.

Due to the dry conditions and increased wildfire risk, Clay County Emergency Management issued a burn ban Tuesday that would remain in effect until further notice.

The ban prohibits all outdoor burning that hasn't been specifically permitted by the Florida Forest Service. It includes burning yard waste, bonfires, and campfires on private or county property.