Man taken into custody after shooting, chase, deputies say

Deputies: Levi Ovenshire, 19, charged

Booking photo of Levi Ovenshire.

PALM COAST, Fla. – A man has been taken into custody after a shooting and chase Saturday, the Flagler County Sheriff's Office said.

Deputies responded to Fulton Place in Palm Coast at 1:15 p.m. after reports about the shooting.

The Sheriff's Office said deputies found a 19-year-old man on his garage floor with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. Responding units learned the shooter had fled in an older model four-door Honda car.

The car was seen 15 minutes later turning onto Royal Palms Parkway from Town Center Boulevard, the Sheriff's Office said. Multiple units converged in the area and attempted to stop the car.

The Sheriff's Office said deputies pursued the suspect, identified as Levi Ovenshire, 19, who was throwing items out of his car.

Deputies tried multiple times to stop Ovenshire with stop sticks, a tire deflation device, but he drove around them, the Sheriff's Office said.

Ovenshire attempted to avoid the stop sticks again and crashed his vehicle into the wood line at the intersection of Raleigh and Rae drives in Palm Coast. Deputies said he was pinned in by sheriff's cars.

The Sheriff's Office said Ovenshire was taken into custody and after medical clearance was taken to the Flagler County Detention Facility. He is initially charged with aggravated fleeing and eluding.

The shooting incident is still under investigation, the Sheriff's Office said.

The victim was airlifted to Halifax in Daytona Beach with life-threatening injuries. The Sheriff's Office said the reason behind the shooting is unknown.

Sheriff Rick Staly, who had been en route to assist in the chase, arrived at the scene moments after Ovenshire was caught.

"I hope the victim makes a full recovery, and I'm thankful that no one else was injured during the pursuit of this dirtbag," Staly said. "He was driving like a maniac trying to get away, so I am glad that none of my deputies or people in our community were hurt."

The Sheriff's Office said the entire incident from the time the 911 call was received until Ovenshire was in custody lasted 30 minutes.