75ºF

Man, 79, burned in Hyde Park house fire dies

Harry Smith died at midnight Wednesday, family says

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A 79-year-old man who was badly burned in a house fire Tuesday morning in the Hyde Park neighborhood died, according to family.

Harry Smith died at midnight Wednesday, his son confirmed to News4Jax.

Jacksonville Fire Rescue was called to 2202 Bills Drive about 7:20 a.m. Tuesday. When firefighters arrived, flames were shooting from the home. 

Smith was found inside and flown to the UF Health Shands Hospital burn unit in Gainesville, where he died nearly 18 hours later, his son said.

Firefighters said that they believe he was the only person in the home when the fire broke out, and a dog died in the fire.

"My dog died. Pops is probably going to die," Betty Clark told News4Jax on Tuesday. "I never knew something like this could happen to us, but I guess anything can happen to anybody."

Three others displaced by the fire were being assisted by the Red Cross. 

Firefighters also said they believe the fire started in the kitchen, but are unsure of the cause.

The state fire marshal's office is investigating, but said the fire did not appear to be suspicious.