80ºF

Man suffers smoke inhalation in Gainesville fire

photo

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Firefighters quickly put out a fire Saturday morning on NW 3rd Avenue, according to the Gainesville Fire Rescue Department.

When fire rescue crews arrived at the scene, a man was still inside the home. Authorities said the man collapsed trying to escape. Three members of the Gainesville Police department were also treated for smoke inhalation. They tried to rescue the man before fire rescue arrived.

photo

Crews forced the door open and were able to remove the man from the home, authorities said. He was transported to UF Health at Shands.

Fire officials say an unattended candle was the cause. Two other apartments in the home had smoke and heat damage. Those occupants will be displaced while repairs are made.