ORANGE PARK, Fla. – The pedestrian killed Thursday morning in a crash involving an Amtrak train off Doctors Lake Drive was a pedestrian who attended Fleming Island High School, according to Clay County District Schools. The girl's name and other details have not been released.
It occurred just before 8 a.m. near the railroad crossing at Doctor's Lake Drive at Parkside Avenue.
"Our hearts are heavy and our condolences go out to the family, friends and the community," Clay County schools spokesman Nicole Snyder said in a statement. "To support the well-being of students and staff, mental health counselors will be available today and as needed during this difficult time.”
After Fleming Island dismissed Thursday afternoon, students said they were told about the death of a fellow classmate. The girl's name had not been released by late afternoon, but most people at the school know who died.
"There are a bunch of people crying. It wasn't a very good atmosphere. Very uncomfortable," student Cameron Snyder said.
This was the ninth person in Northeast Florida killed in crashes involving Amtrak trains since 2015. Five of those have been in Clay County.
People living in the area said they have always been concerned about others walking near the tracks
"When I stepped outside this morning to go to work, I saw the train and I went, 'Oh my God, somebody’s been hit,'" Sharon Mullady said.
The train, which News4Jax believes was Amtrak's Auto Train that was headed to Sanford, was held at the scene during the investigation, but released about 11:30 a.m. and the crossing at Parkside Avenue was reopened.
The Clay County Sheriff's Office is investigating.
Previous eight train crash fatalities
- July 13, 2015: Eryn Spillers, 34, killed when her SUV is struck by an Amtrak train at the crossing on Doctors Lake Drive and Shenandoah Drive in Clay County. FHP said she drove around the arms.
- Jan. 14 2016: Joshua McCoy, 23, killed when his SUV is struck by an Amtrak train at the crossing at Roosevelt Boulevard and Timuquana Road. FHP says he was stopped illegally on the tracks.
- May 7, 2016: A bicyclist killed by Amtrak train on Walburg Street in Green Cove Springs.
- May 18, 2016: A 52-year-old man was struck and killed by an Amtrak train in Satsuma.
- Aug. 17, 2017: Caleb Osborne, 38, is killed when the pickup truck he’s riding in is struck by an Amtrak train in Green Cove Springs. The driver, Richard Tillman, 41, was seriously injured.
- Aug. 20, 2017: A 28-year-old bicyclist was struck and killed by an Amtrak train at the crossing at Post Street and McDuff Avenue. TPolice said one train was passing each other and the man didn’t see the second one.
- Nov. 12, 2017: Scott Wulff, 61, and was walking his his dog along the tracks near Roosevelt and Edgewood Avenue when he was struck by an Amtrak train. The dog got away.
- Dec. 13, 2017: Donovan Williams, 26, was walking north on the tracks near the Wells Road crossing in Orange Park, when he was truck from behind by an Amtrak train