More than 100 rodent droppings found at Norwood restaurant

Recent health inspections show which restaurants dropped ball

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – With your safety in mind, News4Jax combed through this week's most recent health inspections to find out which Jacksonville restaurants dropped the ball.

Blu Diner on Norwood Avenue, a seafood restaurant with a history of problems, was shut down again this week, but has since reopened.

News4Jax tried to get a response from the owner, but was unsuccessful.

According to a report from the state inspector:

  • An emergency closure was called for 15 violations, five of which were critical.
  • More than 100 dry rodent droppings were found near the buffet line -- a repeat violation.
  • Ten live roaches and two dead roaches caught the eyes of inspectors

They're the same slew of problems the restaurant was cited for in November when it had to shut down for an afternoon.

During last week's inspection, Blu Diner was also cited for removing the closure sign when the inspector came back later that day.

The restaurant remained closed after 17 rodent droppings were found the next day.

By Thursday afternoon, all the critical violations were corrected and the inspector allowed Blu Diner to reopen.

The restaurant is now waiting on a follow-up inspection.

At Mr. Snappers Fish and Chicken on Cassat Avenue in Normandy, inspectors said:

  • Seventeen violations, two of which were high-priority, were found throughout the restaurant.
  • Inspectors ordered a brief closure after four lives roaches were found on the kitchen floor.
  • A warning was issued for an employee not wearing a hairnet. 
  • The next day, the roaches were gone and the restaurant got the all-clear to reopen.

WATCH | Restaurant Report: Mr. Snappers, Gubbio's Italian

Gubbio's Italian on Baymeadows Road is also back on our list. It didn't have to shut down this time, but it failed its most recent inspection. According to an inspection report:

  • One live roach and four dead ones were found in the kitchen -- less than a month after it temporarily closed in February for the same problem.

The restaurant didn't have to shut down this time, but a follow-up inspection is expected.