Jacksonville's fire marshal under investigation for sexual harassment

I-TEAM told allegation involves incident in fire department office

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The fire marshal with the Jacksonville Fire-Rescue Division is off the job while the city investigates a allegations of sexual harassment and creating a hostile workplace.

City officials confirmed to News4Jax that Kevin Jones is under investigation, but said details of the allegation are not being made public. Several sources told the I-TEAM that the investigation centers around something he allegedly did to a female employee of the department.

The city would not say whether Jones was suspended, but he has not been at work for at least a week. Neither fire officials nor the mayor's office would say if he is getting paid.

Jones told News4Jax that he could only say that information regarding his side of the story will come out when the city releases its investigation.

"Everything I needed to say has already been said," Jones said.

In a statement, the public affairs director for the city, Marsha Oliver, wrote:

The city of Jacksonville takes any allegation of personnel misconduct seriously. This one is no exception and is currently under investigation. In adherence to our practices and procedures,  we are prohibited from disclosing any information at this time." 

Mayor Lenny Curry, attending an event highlighting the city's efforts to combat sex crimes, would not talk about this case, but said incidents of this nature won't be tolerated.

"There are resources available, and people need to be held accountable if they perpetrated any type of sexual crime against anybody," Curry said.

This is the second time that Jones has been under investigation by the city. In 2014, officials looked at his behavior when he used a derogatory term to describe the crowd at a Welcome to Rockville concert. He was suspended for 10 days after that incident.

Jones has been with JFRD since 1991. He was appointed a division chief in July 2013.

About the Author: