Electrical fire breaks out at The Florida Times-Union building

Flames appear to have been sparked by blown transformer

Photo does not have a caption

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Florida Times-Union's building on Riverside Avenue was evacuated Thursday morning after an electrical fire broke out.

The fire, which is believed to have been caused by a blown transformer, was reported about 10:45 a.m. Though firefighters quickly put out the flames, it took a couple more hours to ventilate the building.

Employees filing out of the building were met by at least seven fire engines. Reporters said they were allowed to return once the smoke had cleared shortly before 1 p.m.

Newsroom employees broke the news on Twitter. "The Times-Union is smoking," said enterprise reporter Andrew Pantazi.

City Hall reporter Chris Hong posted a photo showing fellow reporter David Bauerlein exiting the building through a smoke-filled hallway: "Meanwhile at 1 Riverside Ave."


About the Author: