ALBANY, Ga. – A woman three of her great-grandchildren died and four other children were injured Monday night in a mobile home fire in south Georgia.
Dougherty County Coroner Michael Fowler said 68-year-old Rosemary Davis and children ages 1, 2 and 6 died from smoke inhalation. WALB-TV reported that three of the four children injured -- all under 9 years old -- were taken to a burn unit at an Augusta hospital and one was taken to an Albany hospital.
The fire started around 7:15 p.m. at the Dunes Mobile Home Park. Firefighters were spent several hours extinguishing the flames and pulling victims from the burned-out home.
Fowler and Albany Dunes Mobile Home Park property manager Jennifer Parrish told the Albany television station that everyone in the home was related.
On Wednesday, Albany Fire Department Investigator Sam Harris ruled that food left cooking unattended on the stove was the cause of the deadly blaze.
Officials say the child death task force is assisting in the investigation.