Family pleads for answers 1 year after young couple, baby murdered

Vigil held Wednesday for Quesean Trotter, Ariyan Johnson, and Arielle

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Family and loved ones continue searching for answers a year after a young couple and their infant daughter were found dead in a burned out Arlington Home.

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said Quesean Trotter, Ariyan Johnson were shot before their home in Woodland Acres was set on fire last year. Their 11-month-old daughter, Arielle died of smoke inhalation.

No arrests have been made in the murders and the family is heartbroken and frustrated.

READ MORE: Family prepares to bury man, woman, child found murdered

Mario Peterson, Johnson's grandfather lived in Jacksonville when he heard about the murder of his granddaughter and great-granddaughter. He is a civilian employee with the Navy and was recently transferred to Germany.

Even though he’s miles away, his mind is never far from what happened inside that home. He’s hoping and praying for justice for his loved ones.

“Well its very bad right now. Our trip to get to Germany was very safe and sound and my new job has taken off very well. But unfortunately, we're no closer to finding answers to the killers of my granddaughter and great-granddaughter,” Peterson said.

Peterson has tried to stay in touch with law enforcement but says the detectives have no new information. It's been hard on the family.

“Since the last time we have spoken we had no updates of what's going on. Right now it’s a pretty hard situation for me and my wife. Especially, for her. She has taken great pains with this right now,” Peterson explained.

He considers his granddaughter's case to be a cold one. His fear is that it will stay that way for years to come, and prays someone will come forward.

“I hope God touches them, especially during Christmas time,” Peterson said.

Floating lanterns lit the sky over the St. Johns River Wednesday night during a vigil. Family members who attended, including Yaisa Richardson, believe their loved ones were no stranger to the killer.

“We just feel deep in our hearts that they knew who they were," Richardson said. "It’s been painful. It’s been hurtful. It’s been a lot of emotions. Anger, sadness. It’s been really hard.”

The family also believes someone has knowledge of what actually happened and who was responsible. They're frustrated that a year has gone by, and police have not received information they need to make an arrest.

“If this was your family, would you want me to say something? If this was your family, would you want someone in the neighborhood to tell what happened to them?" said Latavia Harris, Ariyan Johnson's cousin. "I’m pretty sure that if this happened, you would want someone to say something. We just don’t know why they won’t break their silence.”

Anyone with information that could help solve this case is asked to call police at 904-630-0500 or Crime Stoppers at 866-845-TIPS.

About the Authors: