wjxt logo

The everyday item that can be deadly for your dog

Xylitol found in dozens of food, products

People probably know not to feed their dogs chocolate, but there's an ingredient in things you use every day that could be just as deadly to your dog.

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol used as a sweetener in multiple food products, such as peanut butter, cupcakes, cookies, sugar-free gum, muffins, ketchup, protein bars, fruit drinks and pudding, and if your dog consumes it, it can be fatal.

Because Xylitol is a sweetener that has few carbs, it's often used in keto-friendly foods, allowing people to stay in ketosis.

But that's not all. Xylitol can be in plenty of other everyday items around your house, including: 

  • Toothpaste (some of which are made specifically for dogs)
  • Deodorant
  • Mouthwash and floss
  • Medications
  • Nasal spray
  • Lotions
  • Gels
  • Vitamins
  • Variety of cosmetics and hair products

Xylitol can cause a release of insulin from the pancreas in dogs, which can cause seizures, vomiting, liver failure, a comatose state and possibly death. 

Symptoms typically develop within 15 to 30 minutes of consumption.

If you think your dog may have eaten a product containing Xylitol, contact the Poison Pet Helpline at 855-764-7661 or your local veterinarian. 

About the Author:

Keith is a member of Graham Media Group's Digital Content Team, which produces content for all the company's news websites.