TAMPA – Two workers were injured in a gas explosion Thursday afternoon at Raymond James Stadium, authorities said.
The Tampa Bay Times reports that the workers at the stadium, where the Tampa Bay Buccaneers play, were taken to an area hospital.
WFTS-TV reporters witnessed ambulances leaving the scene with lights and sirens on. They were told two people working on a gas line to a concession area on the 300 level of the stadium were severely injured when something sparked a small explosion.
Tampa police spokesman Steve Hegarty said the small explosion was caused by a gas leak. The men had been doing maintenance work on a gas line in a vending area.
Hegarty said everything had been shut off, and there was no fire. Damage caused to the area was minimal.
Tampa Fire Rescue shift commander James Gilligan said the men suffered possible burns and were in stable condition.
The Tampa Fire Marshal's Office was investigating. TECO Peoples Gas was also on the scene.
The Bucs play Friday night in Pittsburg.