Family of Sutherland Springs victim has home destroyed by cigarette fire

Fire was reported before 3 a.m. in 1200 block of Colzona Rd

By Ben Spicer - Web Producer , Josh Skurnik - Reporter

SAN ANTONIO - A fire caused by a cigarette has destroyed a home overnight, continuing a tragic month for one family on the city's East Side. 

The fire was reported just before 3 a.m. in the 1200 block of Colzona Road, not far from Loop 410.

An elderly man and his grandson who live at the home were inside at the time of the fire but managed to make it out safely.

The overnight fire is the second devastating event in the month for the family. The pair also know several victims of the Sutherland Springs shooting.

The homeowner, Hank Summers, told KSAT 12 reporter Josh Skurnik that his uncle currently is recovering at Brooke Army Medical Center and that he had a high school friend wounded. He said he knew many of the deceased.

Firefighters said when they arrived the flames were shooting out of the back of the home. Officials said the fire started in the bathroom.

The fire however reignited shortly before 6 a.m. after firefighters had already left the scene. Emergency crews responded quickly again to put out the flames, but the home is now considered a total loss.

The battalion chief said the family will receive help from the burned-out survivors fund as well as Red Cross.

Copyright 2017 by KSAT - All rights reserved.