Deputy to be put in each Flagler elementary school

Headline Goes Here

FLAGLER COUNTY, Fla. - Starting as early as next week, a Flagler County Sheriff's deputy will be posted at all five elementary schools to provide added security in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

The move, approved Tuesday night by the School Board, will put a deputy at the five schools for the remainder of the school year.  The school district will fund 75 percent of the $84,000 cost, with the Sheriff's Office paying the other 25 percent.

The sheriff said he could not enact the broader plan, involving actual school resource deputies, until next year, when his budget can enable it.

Some parents say it is a good idea, others say that the money could be used somewhere else.

Darla Ayodele works at the daycare at Bunnell Elementary, she said that she is relieved someone else will be keeping a close eye on her son.

"I'm glad that they're doing it," she said. "It makes you feel safe knowing that there is someone here."

Robert Turner, who also has a child at the elementary school, said he didn't see the need for it.

"I believe that they is such tight security as it is without a sheriff's deputy, that kind of issue would not happen here," he said.

Rob Kendall, with Bunnell Elementary, said, "Our main goal is the safety of the kids and it means a lot to our community that we are all working together."

The addition comes after a mother paid $11,000 to add a deputy at her daughter's elementary school last month.

Copyright 2013 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.