ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. - A St. Augustine home was damaged by a fire that erupted in the garage Monday afternoon, St. Johns County Fire Rescue said.
When firefighters first arrived about 2:30 p.m., flames could be seen through the roof, which later collapsed, of the home on Lone Wolf Trail.
Firefighter said the blaze started in the garage and quickly spread to the rest of the large house.
The home is located in a neighborhood that's one of the oldest in the county and has no hydrants. But Fire Rescue said several tanker trucks were sent, so water was not an issue.
No firemen were hurt and a neighbor alerted the only person inside the house at the time, who was then able to get out safely. Another neighbor told News4Jax that the homeowner was taking a shower when the fire started.
The state fire marshal was called to investigate.
Jon Moore, spokesperson for the Bureau of Fire and Arson Investigations, told News4Jax that at this time, no evidence of foul play or suspicious activity has been uncovered, but the investigation remains active and ongoing.
Copyright 2017 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.