2 children killed in South Georgia house fire

Investigators say cause was space heater too close to combustible materials

Headline Goes Here

PEMBROKE, Ga. - State fire officials say the blaze that killed two young children and injured a third child and two adults was caused by a space heater placed too close to combustible materials.

Glenn Allen, a spokesman for Georgia's insurance and fire commissioner, says the fire was reported around 4 a.m. Friday at a manufactured home in the small community of Ellabell in Bryan County.

Investigators said the fire originated in the living room and was caused by an electrical space heater being placed too close to combustible materials.  The home did not have a smoke alarm.

Killed in the fire were, Gavin Dale Newman, 3, and his brother, Randal Newman, III, 4. The other residents of the home, Crystal Beasley, 23, Randal Newman, Jr., 33, and Aden Wells, 6, all suffered heavy smoke inhalation and burns and were flown to Doctors Hospital in Augusta.

The manufactured home located at 852 Pine Needle Road was destroyed.

Ellabell is about 25 miles west of Savannah.

Copyright 2012 by News4Jax.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.