BRUNSWICK, Ga. - The American Red Cross in Brunswick is providing assistance to a family of seven displaced by a house fire early Monday morning.
At about 1:30 a.m., two 27-year-olds and five children ranging in age from 1 month to 10 years were left homeless after one of the adults heard a popping noise and something falling behind a makeshift bedroom door at the home in the 1700 block of Tillman Avenue.
The door to the sunroom turned bedroom was locked from the inside, not permitting entry. As smoke billowed from behind the door, the homeowner took the children outside and called the fire department.
Fire units from the Brunswick City Fire Department arrived and had to make a forced entry into the room on fire.
"Damage to the house was minor by Fire Department standards and involved only one room that actually suffered fire damage," said Deputy Chief May. "Because the fire appeared to be electrical in nature and the electricity to the entire house had to be disrupted, it was not possible for the family to stay in the home."
At the time of the fire, the family was asked by fire personnel if they needed Red Cross assistance and they declined, saying they were going to stay with friends. However, they went to the Red Cross office on Rose Avenue in Brunswick on Tuesday to request assistance.
"We're deeply saddened for those affected," said Kathie Perkins, emergency services director from Brunswick south to Florida. "As we continue to provide support to those affected, we also encourage others to take action to minimize the risk of a home fire."
Copyright 2013 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.