JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Residents from eight units at the Village Walk Apartments on Gate Parkway will have to stay elsewhere Friday night and two of the those units suffered heavy damage after lightning started a fire in the attic.
No people or animals were hurt and Jacksonville Fire Rescue had the fire contained quickly, but part of the roof of Building 7 is gone.
More News Headlines
Resident John Doss said he came home for lunch and found his building on fire.
"The fire was small at first, probably the size of a bush. But quickly it ended up being 10 feet across and 10 to 15 feet high," resident John Doss said. "It was, of course, instinct to get the important papers."
Firefighters said two units were unlivable and there was water damage to four others. Eight units in the building will have no power for the night. The Red Cross said was assisting 12 people with temporary housing and supplies.
Doss said he and his neighbors are thankful no one was hurt.
"One gentleman had a bucket with his fish in it from his aquarium. He was able to rescue his cat and his fish, so that was cute," Doss said.
Copyright 2017 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.