2 adults, 3 children displaced due to Nassau Co. house fire

Nassau County Professional Firefighters help save home

Headline Goes Here

CALLAHAN, Fla. - Two adults and three children were displaced Wednesday after a house fire in Nassau County.

The Nassau County Professional Firefighters, Local 3101, responded at 5:13 p.m. Wednesday to a third-party 911 call reporting a structure fire. The caller told dispatchers that flames were seen as they were calling from the Kangaroo convenience store, located across the street on Lem Turner Road in Callahan.

When firefighters arrived, they found a single-family dwelling with heavy smoke showing from the northeast side of the structure and smoke coming from all eaves.

Firefighters rapidly assessed the scene and performed a defensive attack to extinguish the flames. Authorities said fire suppression began utilizing two 1-3/4 lines to suppress flames on the northeast corner where the electrical service and masthead entered the house.

The fire was quickly brought under control and "fire out" was called at 6:14 p.m. Rescue crews said salvage and overhaul was performed by other Local 3101 members as they arrived at the house from nearby stations.

All of the family's belongings in the house were saved, however authorities said the belongings in the garage were protected the best as could be during firefighting operations.

Two adults and three children were displaced due to the fire and Red Cross was summoned to help the family. Officials said the $90,000 home suffered approximately $25,000 damage to the roof and two-car garage and contents.

Professional Firefighters went back to the scene at 10 p.m., midnight and 4 a.m. as part of the protocol for a fire watch to ensure there was no rekindle.

Copyright 2013 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.