2 workers burned in electrical accident

Most seriously injured flown to burn unit at Shands in Gainesville

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Two workers suffered electrical burns after an electrical short and fire in a support building to a downtown office building Friday afternoon, officials said.

The accident happened about 3 p.m. at 500 Water Street, the former Sun Bank building at the foot of the Acosta Bridge which is now leased by CSX.

Both men -- one 38 and one 48 years old -- were taken to UF Health Jacksonville, where the man with the most serious burns was airlifted to UF Heath/Shands in Gainesville.

JEA spokeswoman Gerri Boyce said on Saturday that John Jenquine is a 7-year employee. He is in critical but stable condition at UF Health Gainesville. The condition for another worker who worked for Graham and Company is not known. They were called to the building to investigate a issue, but no details were available.

Boyce said there was an arc flash while the men were working in a small building that houses electrical equipment, burning both men.

Power was cut to much of building and all employees were evacuated. Both the JEA and Jacksonville Sheriff's Office are investigating the accident.

It's uncertain if the incident was the result of this week's power outage, which lasted from Wednesday morning to Thursday morning in some parts of the downtown and Brooklyn areas.

Both this and the main CSX building were among those downtown that lost power after an underground transformer fire.

Copyright 2014 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.