8 people escape house fire in Jacksonville home

Red Cross assisting after Mitchell Street home catches fire

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A family is without their home after an early morning Saturday fire tore through their house in the Moncrief neighborhood.

According to the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department, a married couple with two children live in the home on Mitchell Street. A woman told News4Jax that four of her nieces were visiting for the night.

She said she was pulling the children out as the flames spread inside the home. Firefighters said the husband suffered second-degree burns on his arm and hand. He was treated and released.

JFRD quickly put out fire of Moncrief Park home.
JFRD quickly put out fire of Moncrief Park home. (WJXT)

Joneva Peterson, a neighbor, said she was just waking up when she learned of the fire.

“I was up for a good little bit, and I nodded off, and my husband was like, ‘Baby, the house is on fire,'” Peterson said. “I was like, 'There’s babies in there! There’s babies in there!”

Peterson watched as firefighters rushed to the scene.

“I am just glad to know everybody made it out safely because the flames got really high, really fast,” she said.

The American Red Cross was called to help the family.

About the Authors: