Deputies: SWAT standoff ends in arrest for man who shot at woman, daughter in car

Lennis Davis was taken into custody after a SWAT standoff.
Lennis Davis was taken into custody after a SWAT standoff. (WJXT)

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. – A 28-year-old St. Augustine man was arrested Sunday following a SWAT standoff in St. Johns County that was sparked by gunfire, according to authorities.

St. Johns County deputies arrested Lennis Davis on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and illegal possession of a firearm by a convicted felon after deputies said he shot at a car carrying a woman and her daughter.

According to the arrest report, the incident happened around 11 a.m. Sunday near Collier Street.

The victim told deputies that she and her young daughter were driving near Collier Street when they were flagged down by Davis who appeared to be under the influence of drugs. The woman said she didn’t feel comfortable taking him anywhere and ordered her daughter to position herself behind her driver’s seat out of precaution and fear of Davis.

According to the arrest report, as the mom attempted to drive away, Davis pulled out a gun and fired multiple shots at the car, striking the vehicle.

When deputies look at nearby surveillance video, they saw a man who appeared to be Davis pull out a gun and begin firing at the rear of the car as it drove away.

Davis is not supposed have a gun because he was previously convicted on felony drug charges.

Around noon, SWAT was called to a home near R.J. Murray Middle School after it was believed that Davis had barricaded himself inside, a St. Johns County Sheriff’s Office spokesman said.

After nearly four hours, deputies entered the home to find that Davis had cut through the floor of the home and crawled underneath, the spokesman said. He was taken into custody without incident about 4 p.m.

Deputies said they found the gun believed to have been used earlier in the day.

Davis remains in the St. Johns County Jail on $150,000 bond.

About the Authors: