JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A Jacksonville police officer died by suicide while on duty, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office announced Friday.
JSO said the officer’s death has had a “ripple effect” on both the officer’s family and the Sheriff’s Office.
The officer’s family was notified and the sheriff’s office sent its thoughts and prayers as they navigate this unfortunate situation.
“We offer our deepest condolences and ask for privacy for the Officer’s family during this time of great sadness,” JSO said in a statement.
Below is a list of mental health resources:
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255 (TALK) or 9-8-8; 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Text TALK to 741741 (suicide)
- Text HOME to 741741 (crisis)
- Children Home Society’s Family Support: Warm Line 1-888-733-6303 (chslistens.com)
- United Way: Dial 211 for 24-hour crisis intervention and suicide prevention
- The Vinson Foundation: Helping Families Coping with Suicide Loss (https://thevinsonfoundation.org/)
- Heretomorrow: Helpline in Neptune Beach available Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-8 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday 10 a.m.-6 p.m. -- (904) 372-9087 (heretomorrow.org)
- LSF Health Systems: 24/7 ACCESS TO CARE LINE: (877) 229-9098 (https://www.lsfhealthsystems.org/)