JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A family of three was rescued by firefighters when their home caught on fire Tuesday morning in Sherwood Forest.
The Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department said crews were dispatched about 5 a.m. to the home on Spottswood Road, right across the street from Pearson Elementary School.
A mother, father and son were home when firefighters said they were woken up by the fire that traveled through the front of the home and up into the attic. Two people were trapped inside when firefighters arrived. A third person who managed to get out was trying to tackle the fire with a garden hose.
Multiple crews were called to the fire, which JFRD said was difficult to extinguish because of the heavy black smoke surrounding the home. They said all three people were taken to a hospital in stable condition.
A woman told News4Jax her parents and her brother were the ones injured in the fire. She said her parents suffered serious burns and were transferred from UF Health hospital in Jacksonville to the UF Health Shands Burn Center in Gainesville. The woman said her brother remains at UF Health in Jacksonville
According to the woman, the cause of the fire is believed to be electrical.
The state fire marshal is investigating.
Copyright 2019 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.