JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - From 2016 through 2018, Jacksonville police officers have racked up 1,823 crashes in both marked and unmarked cruisers, according to data from the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.
As of April 24, there have been a total of 181 crashes involving JSO cruisers in the year 2019, the Sheriff's Office said. 12 JSO cruiser crashes were reported to News4Jax in 2019.
During 2018, the safety review board amended two orders. One order was revised to prohibit officers from passing another police vehicle that is being operated in "emergency mode" without first coordinating with the operator of the other vehicle.
Another order was updated to require commanding officers who monitored a pursuit to complete a vehicle pursuit report within 24 hours of the pursuit.
The following crashes involving JSO cruisers were reported to News4Jax in 2019:
- Jan. 2: 2 officers, elderly man injured in robbery, carjacking, chase
- Jan. 29: Officer seriously hurt in crash with wrong-way driver
- Feb. 8: Officer's tooth knocked out, JSO vehicles hit during wild chase
- Feb. 13: Man arrested after cruiser rammed, police chase
- Feb. 14: JSO officer involved in crash in Fruit Cove school zone
- Feb. 17: Officer hits stalled truck on Buckman Bridge
- March 2: Jacksonville patrol cruiser, car collide on Beaver street, car flips over
- March 31: Officer hurt in crash on Park Street
- April 3: Officer injured in cruiser-involved crash on Wilson Boulevard
- April 8: Officer involved in crash in Arlington
- April 16: Cruisers involved in 2 separate Jacksonville crashes
Copyright 2019 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.