Lawn decor sparks Orange Park fire

2 occupants, family dog made it out of home, unharmed

Headline Goes Here

ORANGE PARK, Fla. - Clay County Fire Rescue believe decorative lawn equipment to be the cause of a fire at a home in Orange Park Monday morning.

Around 5:19 a.m. Monday, firefighters said the residents inside a home on 580 Madeira Drive woke up after hearing their windows shattering. The residents told crews that they saw smoke and called 911.

"On the crews' arrival, they advised they saw flames coming from the roof. Two occupants in the structure and a dog made it out prior to their arrival safely," said Batallion Chief of Clay County Fire Rescue, Glenn East.

East said the fire was accidental, and he believes the fire started when wires from decorative lawn lights ignited the mulch around the home, spreading up to the attic.

According to firefighters, the wires were buried under the mulch near the home.

"There is substantial damage to the structure. The residents are going to be staying with family. And at this point we have the Fire Marshal coming in to confirm the cause," said East.

Four engine crews and two rescues were used to fight the fire.

"It was a difficult fire to put out because the way it started in the attic and got started before we got here. But the fire was out out," said East.

The family was able to get out in time and no one was injured.

"The insurance company is gonna have to look at it to decide how much damage there is. The fire was in the attic so the fire above was fairly substantial. But at this point they will not be able to return to the home," said East.

Copyright 2013 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.