Mall shooting victim's husband talks

Woman treated, released from hospital

Headline Goes Here

The shooting victim's husband sits at the sunglasses kiosk inside Regency Square Mall, where his wife was shot a day before.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - As police continue to search for three men involved in a Friday afternoon shooting inside the Regency Square Mall, the victim's husband wants answers.

That night, the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office released these surveillance pictures of the people they believe are responsible. The photos show three men standing near the indoor entry to the Belk Department store. For some reason, detectives say, the men started shooting.

One of the bullets hit a woman working at a sunglass kiosk.

The husband of the woman who was shot was backing working at the kiosk Saturday, but said opening up business Saturday was tough.

"Yeah, I'm so scared," said Sujan Sapkota. "Still I am scared, right now."

Sapkota and his wife Manisa have run the sunglass kiosk for about a year. He said she was working the shop while he was gone when she was shot in the arm.

The couple is from Nepal and have two small children. Sapkota said his wife was released from the hospital but was still in a lot of pain. He said he's worried because they don't have health insurance, and doctors were unable to remove the bullet from her shoulder.

"We don't know if they shot at her or if they were shooting at something else, but she was struck by a bullet," JSO Lt. Brian Richardson said.

Sapkota doesn't believe his wife was a target, but instead an innocent person caught in the line of fire.

"No, no, she doesn't know anything about this," said the man. "She didn't see anything."

Shoppers told Channel 4 that they heard two shots and there was some running immediately after the gunfire.

"Everybody just started running, and I started running with them and everyone was panicking," shopper Tiffany Anderson said. "You don't expect that when you go to the mall."

"I'm shaking," shopper Sabrina Spencer said. "It was a very scary experience. I don't think I've ever experienced anything like this before. That's a little too close to home."

Spencer said she caught a glimpse of the victim after she was shot.

"There was blood all throughout the floor," she said. "It looked like maybe, I don't know if she had walked, and then she was laying down. They had her feet propped up and then tied her arm really tight to stop the bleeding, I guess."

While there was a heavy police presence around the mall and a helicopter circling the area, the scene appeared relatively calm about one hour after the shooting.

Some people who people in the mall at the time said they didn't even know there was a shooting.

The mall was placed on lockdown but reopened later Friday.

Seacoast Christian Academy and Global Outreach Charter Academy on Regency Square Boulevard were placed on lockdown because of the mall shooting. About 130 students were at Seacoast.

If you have any information that can help police, call Crime Stoppers at 866-845-TIPS.

Copyright 2012 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.