Firefighters save family's Thanksgiving

Firefighters cook turkey after kitchen fire

By Jason Mealey - Producer/assignment editor
Headline Goes Here

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Firefighters with Jacksonville Fire-Rescue saved one family's Thanksgiving after putting out a fire Thursday morning on Lockhart Drive.

Elizabeth Cole tells News4Jax she was pre-heating her oven as she was preparing the Thanksgiving feast for her six children when the stove caught fire.

"We were on the phone. I'd say two minutes later, the firefighters they were there. They contained the fire to the stove," Cole said.

But it's what firefighters did next that touched her heart.

"I was shocked. When they came back, my son thought they were there to investigate the stove and see what happened. They said they'd take and cook our turkey, which helped us because we didn't know how we were going to have turkey today," Cole said.

Cole was able to pick up her cooked turkey from Station 36 shortly before 1 p.m.

"They're amazing, to go the extra mile for my children to have Thanksgiving. It's a blessing. You don't hear that nowadays," Cole said. 

The fire was contained just to the stove. The family will need a new stove.

 

 

Copyright 2017 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.