Crust for single crust pie
4 Gala Apples about 1 pound, peeled and cored
2 Tablespoons water
Juice of one lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
3 large eggs, separated
4 ounces sugar
1. Prepare the pie crust in a suitable pie pan
2. Grate the apples on a coarse grater. Add the apples, water, ¾ of the sugar, lemon juice and zest to a heavy pot. Cook over medium heat until apples reduce to a puree. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
3. Beat the egg yolks slightly. Blend yolks into apple mixture and stir well. Spoon mixture into the pie shell and bake for 20 minutes.
4. While pie is baking, start beating egg whites adding the remaining sugar gradually as you continue beating. Whip until stiff peaks form.
5. After removing pie from the oven, spread meringue over the top of the pie, sealing it to the edges of the crust. Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes or until nicely browned.