Time to Dish: Irish Cottage or Shephard's Pie by Winn-Dixie
1 ½ pounds russet potatoes
¼ cup half and half
2 ounces unsalted butter
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and diced small
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 ½ pounds ground lamb or beef (shephard’s pie is made with lamb, cottage pie with beef)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 cup beef broth
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
½ cup frozen corn kernels
¾ cup frozen peas
1. Place potatoes in a sauce pan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until tender
2. Combine hot potatoes, half and half and butter and mash or whip until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and stir in egg yolk until combine.
3. While potatoes are cooking, place canola oil in a medium saute pan over medium/high heat. Saute onion and carrot for 3 – 4 minutes. Add garlic and saute for an additional minute. Add lamb or beef, salt and pepper and cook until cooked through and all pink is gone.
4. Sprinkle meat mixture with flour and toss to coat. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add tomato paste, beef stock, Worcestershire and herbs. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 10-12 minutes or until thick. Add the corn and peas and stir to combine.
5. Spread the meat mixture into an 11x7 baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes across the top of meat mixture, creating a seal around the edges to prevent bubbling out.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes until potatoes begin to brown. Cool 15 minutes and serve.
Copyright 2016 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.