Christmas bake | Publix Kitchen | River City Live
Complete your meal with steamed vegetables, fresh salad blend, potato rolls, and pumpkin pie for dessert.
It's important to let the roast rest before slicing, so it reabsorbs the juices and stays moist and flavorful.
Prepare roast (1 hour, 25 minutes)
Prepare bread pudding and bake with roast during last 35 minutes bake time (35 minutes)
Complete roast and bread pudding and prepare salad; serve (30 minutes)
Recipe: Rib Roast with Onion Au Jus
Active Time - 30 minutes, Total Time - 2 hours, 30 minutes (Makes 8 servings)
- 2 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 8 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 standing rib roast (4–5 lb)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth (or stock)
- 1 cup red wine (or beef broth)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Slice onions (about 2 cups); chop garlic. Combine salt, pepper, and thyme; coat roast evenly with seasoning on all sides. Arrange onions and garlic in bottom of roasting pan, then place roast over onion mixture; bake 20 minutes or until browned.
- Reduce oven to 350°F; continue baking 1–1 1/2 hours and until roast is 125°F (for medium rare; warm red center), 130°F (medium; warm pink center), or up to 170°F (well done). Use a meat thermometer to accurately ensure doneness. Transfer roast to cutting board; let stand 10–15 minutes before slicing. Temperature will rise 5–10°F during this time.
- Preheat large sauté pan on medium-high for 3 minutes. Transfer onion mixture to pan; cook 8–10 minutes or until browned. Pour in broth, wine, and Worcestershire; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice roast. Serve roast with onion au jus.
NOTE: The doneness temperatures for medium rare and medium stated above are traditional temperatures used for cooking rib roast, but are not recommended by the USDA. To maintain food safety, the USDA recommends an internal temperature of 145°F, as measured using a food thermometer, with a 3-minute rest time before carving.
CALORIES (per 1/8 recipe) 670kcal; FAT 51g; SAT FAT 21g; TRANS FAT 0g; CHOL 145mg; SODIUM 960mg; CARB 5g; FIBER 1g; SUGARS 2g; PROTEIN 40g; CALC 4%; IRON 30%
Recipe: Savory Onion Bread Pudding
Active Time - 15 minutes, Total Time - 1 hour, 30 minutes (Makes 12 servings)
- 6 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 7 oz Deli aged white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (or half-and-half)
- 6 large eggs (or 1 1/2 cups egg substitute)
- 1 package corn muffin mix (6–8.5 oz)
- Slice onions; shred cheese. Melt butter in large sauté pan on medium. Stir in onions, salt, pepper, and thyme; cook 20–30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onions are soft and browned. Remove pan from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 13- x -9-inch baking dish with spray. Beat cream, eggs, and corn muffin mix in large bowl until blended, then pour into baking dish; top evenly with cheese and onion mixture.
- Bake 30–35 minutes or until golden and center is set. Let stand 10 minutes to cool before serving.
CALORIES (per 1/12 recipe) 360kcal; FAT 28g; SAT FAT 16g; TRANS FAT 0.5g; CHOL 175mg; SODIUM 570mg; CARB 18g; FIBER 1g; SUGARS 7g; PROTEIN 10g; CALC 15%; IRON 6%
Recipe: Spiced Cherry Salad
Total Time - 15 minutes (Makes 6 servings)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinaigrette
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1 package dried cherries (4–5 oz)
- 1 package baby kale salad blend (4–5 oz)
- 1 (3.5-oz) package fruit and nut mix
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Combine vinaigrette and red pepper (if using) in large salad bowl; whisk to blend. Add cherries and let stand 10 minutes (cherries should begin to plump).
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl; toss to coat. Serve.
CALORIES (per 1/6 recipe) 230kcal; FAT 11g; SAT FAT 3.5g; TRANS FAT 0g; CHOL 10mg; SODIUM 420mg; CARB 28g; FIBER 2g; SUGARS 21g; PROTEIN 6g; CALC 6%; IRON 6%
Copyright 2019 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.