Citrus Olive Oil Cake
Total Time - 2 hours, 15 minutes (Makes 8 servings)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cups + 2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
3 large eggs
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon orange (or lemon) extract (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with butter, then dust with 2 tablespoons flour until all sides of pan are well coated (discard any remaining flour).
2. Whisk 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl until blended; set aside. Zest lemons and oranges (1 tablespoon each) and juice (1/2 cup orange, 1/4 cup lemon).
3. Whisk 1 cup sugar and both zests in large bowl, until zest releases its oils into the sugar. Add eggs to sugar; beat with electric mixer on HIGH 2 minutes or until pale yellow. Beat in olive oil, milk, 1/4 cup orange juice, and 1/4 cup lemon juice into egg mixture, until combined. Whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients, until blended.
4. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake 50-60 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out with few crumbs and edges start to release from sides of pan. Remove from oven and set aside 30 minutes to cool. Transfer cake to wire rack to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup orange juice, and orange extract (If desired) until well blended. Pour orange glaze evenly over cake. Set aside to cool 30 more minutes, then slice and serve.