With the holiday season around the corner, some of us may be dreading it because of family interactions. It may be that you have an Enmeshed relationship w family.
What is it?
An overly connected relationship; the thought of not being involved in their decisions causes anxiety
Example: Family member doesn’t respect your boundaries (They have a vote on your decisions about job, relationships, etc)
1) You “absorb” others’ feelings / feel a need to fix their problems
2) Your relationship determines your happiness / self-esteem
3) You avoid conflicts / trouble saying “no”
What to do?
1) Practice AGENCY: Ask yourself: Is this what I want?
My research found that a healthy sense of self is one of the biggest buffers against depression.
2) Draw a circle: Create a boundary to remind yourself
3) ask yourself: is it helpful to say this