JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Jaguars have released two-time Pro Bowl left tackle Branden Albert, ending a bizarre and short-lived relationship between the team and Albert.
Albert had been on the team's reserve/retired list.
The 32-year-old Albert surprised coach Doug Marrone on July 31 by walking into his office and saying he planned to retire. Albert abruptly quit after three training camp practices in which he looked out of shape and past his prime.
The Jaguars traded a seventh-round pick to the Dolphins for Albert this offseason, but he did not show up for off-season practices, as he was negotiating for a better contract. Albert did show up to the mandatory mini camp, avoiding NFL mandated fines.
Here's a timeline of Albert's tumultuous time as a Jaguar:
- March 9 - Jaguars trade a conditional seventh-round pick to the Miami Dolphins for Albert.
- May 23 - Organized Team Activities begin. Albert does not participate in the voluntary practices.
- June 13-15 - Albert participates in the mandatory three-day mini-camp, avoiding fines.
- July 31 - Albert told Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone that he was stepping away from the team.
- August 4 - Albert approached the team about the opportunity to return to the NFL at a later date. The team declined to respond publicly at the time.
- August 7 -team officials met with Albert and mutually agreed to place him on the club’s reserve/retired list.
- August 11, the team released Albert.
Albert was scheduled to make $8.8 million this season and $9.5 million in 2018. The Jaguars will retain the draft pick because Albert did not play in three regular season games for the team. They also are likely to have salary cap money rebated to them as a result of the retirement and eventual release. Rookie second-round draft pick Cam Robinson started at left tackle on Thursday in the Jaguars preseason opener against the Patriots and is expected to win the starting job for the regular season, however Josh Wells is also listed as a co-starter at that position on the Jaguars official depth chart.
Copyright 2017 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.