Police: Drug dealer tosses cocaine out of car, tries to run after hitting teen

Daniel Sarama, 17, critical after 103rd Street crash

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A teenage boy was in critical condition at last check, after being hit by a car Monday afternoon on 103rd Street near Interstate 295, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

Marion Walker, 47, of Fort Lauderdale, is charged with leaving the scene of a crash with serious bodily injury, reckless driving and trafficking in cocaine.

According to FHP, troopers were doing a seat belt enforcement patrol on 103rd Street about 2 p.m. as part of "Click It or Ticket" when a black car came speeding off I-295, hit a white car and then hit Daniel Sarama, 17, who was on the sidewalk. 

The man driving the black car, who was identified as Walker, threw items into a nearby retention pond before trying to run away, according to the police report.

A trooper used a Taser to stun Walker and arrest him, the Highway Patrol said.

Walker, who served prison time in 1998 for selling cocaine, was taken to a hospital in unknown condition. 

Steve Hopkins told News4Jax that he was driving to work when the black car hit him from the side. 

"I had just left the gas station and was sitting there in traffic, behind the light, and all of a sudden, the black car just comes down to the exit ramp off the interstate and just comes out of nowhere and hits me," Hopkins said. "Once I got stopped and saw I was OK, I wanted to see how the driver was doing and he was walking all around and the troopers were already there because they were in traffic too, and they were trying to get him to stop and he just wouldn't stop. He just kept going. They kept warning him that if he didn't stop, they were going to Taser him. They ended up having to Taser him because he just wouldn't listen to their commands."

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said its dive team responded to searched the pond, finding 2 kilograms of cocaine that Walker tossed out the window. 

Sarama's neighbor told News4Jax that the teen is like a son to her, and described him as a "great kid." Sarama was still in the hospital as of Tuesday.