Judge finalizes order that James Tadros not competent for trial
Tadros accused of trying to drown 9-year-old girl in a Best Buy bathroom
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – A judge finalized her order Tuesday that James Tadros, the man accused of trying to drown a 9-year-old girl in a Best Buy bathroom two years ago, is not competent for prosecution.
Tadros, 31, had been previously ruled not competent for trial and was remanded to the custody of the Agency for Persons with Disabilities. But the agency told the judge it believed Tadros might now be competent for trial.
Two evaluations by psychologists determined Tadros was still not competent to be prosecuted. The judge ordered in November that Tadros, who was diagnosed with autism as a child, remain in the custody of the Agency for Persons with Disabilities.
As he was being led from the courtroom, Tadros asked the judge, “What does this mean? I’m in custody?” The judge advised Tadros’ lawyer to explain her ruling to him.
Tadros' lawyer filed a petition for residential custody in the care of the Agency for People with Disabilities. A committee of experts will make recommendations on Tadros' accommodations and treatment.
Judge Angela Cox also found that "there is no substantial probability that the defendant will become mentally competent to stand trial in the foreseeable future."
A review has been scheduled for February.
News4Jax learned Tadros was Baker Acted three times.
Also, before the incident involving the 9-year-old girl, Tadros used a power drill to drill himself in the chest.
One psychologist who examined Tadros told Cox that he was a danger to himself and others and would be best suited for a secure residential environment for people with pronounced neurodevelopmental issues.
Police said that in 2013 Tadros attacked a girl inside a Southside Best Buy store and then tried to push her head in the toilet. The girl fought back, and people inside the store heard the commotion.