JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – One man is dead following an early-morning shooting on the city’s Westside.
According to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, shots were fired near the Super 8 by Wyndham Jacksonville hotel on Youngerman Circle East around 5:30 a.m. and blood and a shell casing were found at the scene.
Around the same time, a man showed up at Orange Park Medical Center where he died, JSO said. Surveillance video shows a woman driving a Black Dodge Charger to the hospital and dropping the man off.
JSO said it’s not clear what led to the shooting.
JSO also said it’s not clear if Wednesday’s shooting is related to other recent shootings in the area.
Anyone with information is asked to contact JSO.
For years News4JAX has chronicled issues with crime along Youngerman Circle, just north of the Clay County line, where there are several hotels and motels.
Here’s a list of violent deaths since 2019:
- Dec. 13 last year there was a fatal shooting along Youngerman
- On Oct. 22 there was a triple shooting
- On Sept. 21 a woman was shot and the suspect was later killed by JSO
- On Sept. 19 2021 a man was shot to death
- In March of that year a man was shot to death by police
- In November 2019 a baby died from head injuries inflicted by the father
The city has taken notice. One thing that’s happening is a crackdown on panhandling. It’s been as bad in this area as any in the city and many of the panhandlers use the motels.
The city is looking to ban panhandling as early as next week.