Skip to main content

JSO launches new investigation after News4JAX report on TikTok account posting women, children without their consent

Account posting inappropriate videos has been banned from platform

FILE - A view of the TikTok app logo, in Tokyo, Japan, Sept. 28, 2020. (AP Photo/Kiichiro Sato, File) (Kiichiro Sato, Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved)

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Shortly after News4JAX reported on a TikTok account that was recording inappropriate videos of women and children without their consent and posting them on the platform, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office launched a new investigation into the matter.

News4JAX has since learned that the Sheriff’s Office had already begun several other investigations regarding the online content, which was secretly filmed in public places.

The videos seem to have been recorded across Jacksonville, Palatka, and St. Augustine.

We’re working to find out how many open cases there are and what information they might have learned about the person behind the account, whose identity is still unknown.

The user’s name on TikTok was “staugustineflorid” but that account -- which included posts with disturbing content and captions such as “virgin white girl,” “cute teenage girl,” and “sexy lady” -- has since been banned from the platform.

However, TikTokers have pointed to two other accounts that they believe could be connected to the same person because they are also posting similar inappropriate content of women and children in our area.

If you’d like to report those accounts, they are: @tjacksonville.flohorneym and @jacksonvilleflori3

A JSO spokesperson shared the following statement about the case:

“We would always remind people, while out and about in a public setting, the potential exists to be captured on video or in pictures being taken by others. If the feeling is these pictures overstep into a privacy concern, or become construed as a potential criminal act – they can feel free to call JSO for a response and vetting of the scenario into a possible report writing and follow-up investigation.”

TikTok creator Jason Goodrich first brought the “staugustineflorid” account to the attention of News4JAX and created several videos warning women about the accounts, which he described as “creepy,” pointing out that some of the subjects looked under age.

Goodrich emphasized the importance of raising awareness.

“If we can’t do anything about it legally at the moment, we can’t get him arrested, make him as uncomfortable as he’s making these women,” Goodrich said. “If we make it known that he’s going around doing all this, now everybody’s on guard.”

The main account had about 1,600 to 1,700 followers before it was removed.

Local attorney Shannon Schott reviewed the posts and explained that videos or photos taken in public generally are not against the law.

However, there could be civil claims if someone’s name or likeness is used commercially to make money or gain influence.

Schott says if you look up an account and find yourself on it, you possibly “can pursue legal action.”

Regarding videos or photos of minors, Schott noted that Florida law does not have specific protections, like California does.

“There’s space in the law to say that these girls should not be on the accounts, especially since it definitely has an undertone of sexual motivation,” Schott said. “It’s unfortunate that we have to tell women and girls to be aware of their surroundings, but that’s just the world that we currently live in.”

Schott also advised that if someone finds themselves in multiple posts, it could be grounds for cyberstalking or harassment charges.

If you notice someone following or recording you in public in an inappropriate way, you should tell them to stop and consider reporting them to law enforcement for stalking or harassment.