Mom, sister not granted bond in child killing

Women accused of trying to dispose of gun used in killing

BRUNSWICK, Ga. - The mother and sister of a 17-year-old accused of killing a 1-year-old boy last week were not granted bond at their first appearances in court Friday afternoon.

Karimah and Sabrina Elkins, 36 and 19 respectively, are charged with trying to dispose of the gun investigators believe De'Marquise Elkins (pictured below on right) used to kill 13-month-old Antonio Santiago. Police said the women disposed of the gun in a saltwater pond about two miles away from the killing.

The judge said no bond was granted because of their past history, and they will have to wait for a full bond hearing. The decision prompted Sabrina Elkins to come to tears.

Investigators said De'Marquise Elkins shot the child in the face while trying to rob his mother as she pushed the boy in a stroller.

Dominique Lang (pictured above on left), 15, is also charged with murder in the killing.

Karimah Elkins and Katrina Elkins were arrested earlier this week on charges of lying to police. Investigators said they created false alibis for De'Marquise Elkins at the time of the shooting.

While none of the Elkins' family members went to see their relatives in court Friday, the New Black Panther Party spoke out on behalf the family and the teens accused of murder.

"We didn't come for five minutes of fame. We came because we understand that these are children, these are juveniles here, and they deserve the same rights," James Muhammad said.

He said Sabrina Elkins should have been granted bond.

"Sabrina's not a flight risk. She's not a flight risk. So why hold her in jail in court," Muhammad said.

As the investigation entered its eighth day, investigators said they were working to find evidence and witnesses.

"So basically we're following through with the information we've already gained to follow up and check the validity of that," said Officer Todd Rhodes, of the Brunswick Police Department.

Glynn County Police Chief Matt Doering said there could be more arrests, depending where the evidence leads investigators. He said more physical evidence was collected Friday, and as for the gun, he said the saltwater damage appears to have been minimal. The ballistics tests on the gun and the bullet taken from Antonio's body could take 30-45 days to complete.

There are believed to be more witnesses out there investigators want to question, Doering said. He said there could be more charges against suspects already in custody.

Copyright 2013 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.