Republican Dean Black easily won the August primary in Florida House District 15, which covers North and West Jacksonville. The district extends north of the St. Johns River and outside Interstate 295 to the Nassau County line as well as west beyond Conga Drive/Pritchard Road/Chaffee Road. It continues to stretch west, following McGirts Creek then Old Middleburg Road south to Oakleaf Village Parkway, with the district covering Duval County west to the Baker County line and south to the Clay County line.
No Democrat signed up to run in this race, but a write-in candidate qualified in District 15. That means the primary was limited to only Republican voters and Black’s name is the only one that will appear on the November ballot.
News4Jax sent a questionnaire to each candidate on the ballot asking about their background and views on several issues. Scroll down to read Black’s responses -- in his own words.
Occupation: (No response)
Age: (No response)
Your family: (No response)
Education: (No response)
Political experience: (No response)
We asked our most-loyal viewers (News4Jax Insiders) what three issues they would most like candidates to address:
Viewers’ No. 1 issue: The economy
- As the only businessman and job creator in this race, I am committed to supporting our local businesses and fighting back against Biden’s inflation.
Viewers’ No. 2 issue: Voter rights/election integrity
- Election integrity is critical to preserving Floridians faith in democracy. As a State Representative, I will work to fully fund Governor Ron DeSantis’ newly created Office of Election Crimes and Security.
Viewers’ No. 3 issue: Gun rights/gun safety
- I am proud gun owner, hunter and sportsman who never compromise on our Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. I support Constitutional Carry.
News4Jax asked each candidate three additional questions to help voters determine which most agrees with their views:
What do you see as the top three issues facing the state and nation over the next two years?
- Pushing back against the radical left and their extreme values
- Stabilizing our economy and curbing inflation
- Fighting for parental rights in education, school choice and keeping marxist ideology out of the classroom
Do you believe Joe Biden is the legitimately elected president of the United States?
In light of the Supreme Court ruling striking down Roe v. Wade, would you propose or support additional laws either banning abortion entirely or guaranteeing reproductive rights?
- I am 100% Pro-Life and will fight to protect the unborn in the Legislature.
How can you help voters in a way that others running for this office cannot?
- (No response)
What would you hope to be remembered for accomplishing after serving in this office?
- (No response)
Campaign website: VoteDeanBlack.com
Campaign’s social media site(s): Facebook.com/deanblackfl
Note: Jerry B. Steckloff qualified as a write-in candidate. While his name will not appear on the general election ballot, his presence in the race kept the August primary closed to only Republican voters.