Father of son killed in drive-by speaks

Police asking for public's help in finding whoever is responsible

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – It's been four days since a Jacksonville man was shot and killed in front of his grandmother's home, and police aren't any closer to finding the person who killed the 20-year-old.

JSO responded to a shots fired call around 4:30 p.m. Saturday and found Anthony Stinson Jr. in critical condition, suffering from several gunshot wounds in the front yard of the house on West 17th Street  after a drive-by-shooting.

People reported hearing multiple gunshots, but no one said they actually saw the shooting, as far as police know.

Stinson was rushed to UF Health Jacksonville, where he died from his injuries.

Stinson's father, Rob, spoke to Channel 4 on Tuesday night about his son, who was killed just before his 21st birthday.

"I told him that when I left home to make sure he turned the lights on in the house when he leaves," Rob Stinson said. "He said, 'OK, Daddy.' He always said, 'Yes sir, no sir, OK daddy,' and I walked out of the house and left him."

He said that at the time of the shooting Stinson was visiting his grandmother's home.

"We heard a loud pow, pow, pow," said Connie Hicks, Stinson's grandmother.

She said she thought the sound was fireworks, but when she ran outside her house, she realized they were gunshots fired at her grandson.

"When I got out here, he was laying on the ground," Hicks said. "They had shot him down like a dog."

Stinson would have turned 21 next month.

Stinson's father told Channel 4 that his son loved football and his brand new silver Mustang.

"He was a great kid and he always did what I asked him to do," Rob Stinson said. "It is just the worst feeling in the world to lose your child. That's my baby boy. It is very important that we find out who did this, very important. I just know that God is good and he will comfort us, but at this time, it's tough."

Investigators have not been able to track down any witnesses who actually saw the shooting, but believe the shooter was in a gray sedan.

"I think I'll let justice prevail and we'll see what happens from there, but I'm going to make sure they do their job," Rob Stinson said. "I actually told the police that they didn't have to worry about it because I'd find them myself.

Stinson's killing is yet another on a long list of crimes committed in the Grand Park area.

"My baby got killed about 4 o'clock or 4:30, then Saturday night somebody got killed on 21st street," Hicks said. "That's two streets over from me."

According to police records, there have been 91 violent crimes committed in just a half-mile radius of where Stinson was shot just this year.

"The crime statistics wouldn't get out of hand or out of proportion if the community began to look out for each other or, for the sake of a better word, police their own area," said Channel 4 crime and safety analyst Ken Jefferson.

Jefferson said with no witnesses, the community is the key in solving this case and others like it.

"The biggest piece of evidence right now is somebody coming forward," he said. "Someone knows something, someone heard something, someone may have even seen something."

"I wish they would, 'cause if it had been me and I know somebody's child had gotten murdered like that, I wouldn't care what they do to me 'cause I would have told," Hicks said. "Yes, I would. I would have told."

MAD DADS is working with Stinson's family to have a vigil and canvass in the neighborhood Thursday looking for answers.

A viewing for Stinson will be held from 4-7 p.m. Friday at St. Thomas Family Life Center. His memorial service will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at Mt. Calvary Baptist Church.

Police are asking for the public's help in catching whoever is responsible. If you have any information about the shooting, call Crime Stoppers at 866-845-TIPS.