Sessions' brother talks about latest findings

UF student disappeared in 1989

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The family of Tiffany Sessions is holding out hope that they will learn the truth of what happened to her.

In February 1989, the University of Florida junior went for her routine hour-long jog in Gainesville. She was never seen again.

"She was the life of the party, a lot of fun, very outgoing, very social," Tiffany's brother, Jason Sessions, said. "It wouldn't surprise me if somebody stopped at the side of the road if she was walking by, for her to approach the vehicle and speak with them."

Tiffany Sessions
Tiffany Sessions

The Sessions family won't give up searching for answers as to what happened.

"Until we find the answers, we can't really have peace with it either," Sessions said. "So you live forever searching for those answers and trying to bring comfort to the family and what we are missing."

Earlier this month, Alachua County named Paul Rowles the prime suspect responsible for the disappearance of the 20-year-old college student.

Rowles died in prison one year ago doing time for kidnapping and sexual battery.

Florida Department of Corrections booking photo of Paul Rowles
Florida Department of Corrections booking photo of Paul Rowles

Rowles was in Gainesville working as a pizza delivery man and for a construction company at the same time Tiffany Sessions and another woman whose body was discovered lived there.

Sessions' brother said he has no doubt Rowles hurt his sister.

"We received reports over the year of Tiffany getting into a red car, and certainly Rowles was driving a red Bronco, so that matches up pretty clearly," he said.

The site where investigators recently searched is where the body of another victim was found in 1992.

Rowles' first victim was a woman from Miami whom he was convicted of killing in 1972 but was released nine years later.

"If you look at his previous victims, his first victim in the '70s was kind of a spitting image of my sister," Sessions said.

Many wonder how Rowles could have gotten out of prison after just nine years after he was sentenced to life.

The Florida Parole Commission in 1985 ruled to release him and undergo psychiatric counseling and register as a sex offender.

That apparently didn't happen until after his Duval County convictions in 1994, after he is believed to have kidnapped and murdered Sessions.

Rowles lived in Arlington in the 1990s, not far from Jacksonville University. That's why the Sessions family and police are asking for people living in Jacksonville as well as Gainesville to tell the police if they have any information about Rowles or Tiffany Sessions.

If anyone has information about Rowles, call Detective Kevin Allen of the Alachua County Sheriff's Office at 352-384-3323.

About the Author: