wjxt logo

Arlington family escapes devastating house fire Saturday

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – An Arlington family escaped a devastating house fire Saturday afternoon. 

It happened around 3:30 p.m. on Cherokee Villa. 

Six people made it out of the home without any injuries. Firefighters said flames were shooting through the roof when they arrived but they were quickly able to get the fire under control. 

Homeowner Moe Dayer told News4JAX that the blaze started in the garage while his family was watching the Florida-Georgia football game. 

"We were watching the Florida-Georgia game and I smelled the smoke. Opened the garage door and I see the flames in the garage. Then I just got everybody out of the house and walked out. I'm thanking God that everybody is okay," Dayer said.

Dayer added that he and his family will be staying with other loved ones for the night.