Mail ballots scrutinized as early voting nears end
More than 2 million Floridians had voted by Friday; precincts open Monday
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – With only a day or two of early-voting left before Tuesday's primary, much of the work of election officials has turned to examining thousands of mail-in ballots already received.
While early voting ends in most counties on Saturday, voting continues Sunday in Duval County. Absentee voting will be the only other option to cast a ballot prior to the precincts opening Tuesday. (Full list of county days, times, locations available below).
Statewide, just over 1 million vote-by-mail ballots were cast by Friday afternoon, and 365,927 people had voted early. Both locally and statewide, more Republican absentee ballots have been mailed, but more Democrats than Republicans have voted in person.
WHAT'S ON THE BALLOT: News4Jax Voter's Guide
That turnout is far lower than was predicted 10 days ago when early voting began in the Aug. 30 primary began.
During early voting, voters can cast ballots at any early voting location in their county. Early voting is not available the day before the election. On Election Day, voters must vote at their assigned precincts.
Absentee voting, or voting by mail, will continue through Election Day. Voters can request a ballot through their local elections office at any time up to, and including, Aug. 30.
The Duval County election canvassing board is busy reviewing the 33,192 mail-in ballots received in Duval County by Friday. Of those 640 were not counted because of issues with the signature or other problems.
"You can follow your absentee ballot process online. You can go online and see if you have been processed, and that will give you a hint to whether or not we have accepted it," Duval County Supervisor of Elections Mike Hogan said.
Early voting dates and locations:
All sites are open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m, except for the Supervisor of Elections main office, which is open 8 a.m to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Supervisor of Elections Main Office, 105 E. Monroe Street
- Argyle Branch Library, 7973 Old Middleburg Road South
- Beaches Branch Library, 600 3rd Street, Neptune Beach
- Bradham-Brooks Branch Library, 1755 Edgewood Ave. West
- Gateway Town Center, 910 W. 44th Street
- Highlands Regional Library, 1826 Dunn Ave.
- Legends Community Center, 5130 Soutel Drive
- Mandarin Branch Library, 3330 Kori Road
- Murray Hill Branch Library, 918 Edgewood Ave. South
- Oceanway Community Center, 12215 Sago Ave.
- Pablo Creek Regional Library, 13295 Beach Blvd.
- Regency Square Branch Library, 9900 Regency Square Blvd.
- San Marco Branch Library, 1513 LaSalle Street
- South Mandarin Branch Library, 12125 San Jose Blvd.
- Southeast Regional Library, 10599 Deerwood Park Blvd.
- University Park Branch Library, 3435 University Blvd. North
- Webb Wesconnett Regional Library, 6887 103rd Street
- West Branch Library, 1425 Chaffee Road South
All sites open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Supervisor of Elections Office, 500 N. Orange Ave., Green Cove Springs
- Eagle Landing at Oakleaf Plantation, 3973 Eagle Landing Pkwy., Orange Park
- Fleming Island Library, 1895 Town Center Blvd., Fleming Island
- Keystone Heights Branch Office (Clay Co. Tax Collector), 7380 State Road 100, Keystone Heights
- Middleburg Civic Center, 2102 Palmetto Street, Middleburg
- Orange Park Library, 2054 Plainfield Ave., Orange Park
St. Johns County
All sites open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Supervisor of Elections Office, 4455 Avenue A #101, St. Augustine
- Julington Creek Annex - Conference Room (St. Johns County Service Center), 725 Flora Branch Blvd., Saint Johns
- Ponte Vedra Branch Library, 101 Library Boulevard, Ponte Vedra Beach
- Southeast Branch Library, 6670 US 1 South, St. Augustine
- St. Augustine Beach City Hall, 2200 A1A South, St. Augustine
- Hastings Town Hall, 6195 South Main Street, Hastings
All sites open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- County Commission Chambers, 96135 Nassau Place, Yulee
- Callahan County Building, 45401 Mickler Street, Callahan
- Hilliard Community Center, 37177 Pecan Street, Hilliard
- MLK/Elm Street Recreation Center, 1200 Elm Street, Fernandina Beach
All sites open 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Elections Office, 2509 Crill Ave., Suite 900, Palatka
- Interlachen Community Center, 135 S. County Road 315, Interlachen
- South Putnam County Government Complex, 115 N. Summit Street, Crescent City
Both sites open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Supervisor of Elections Main Office, 971 W. Duval Street, Lake City
- Fort White Community Center, 17579 SW SR 47, Fort White
Voting open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Supervisor of Elections Office, 32 North 5th Street, Macclenny
Voting open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Bradford County Courthouse, 945 N. Temple Ave., Starke
All sites open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Supervisor of Elections Office (located in Government Services Building), 1769 E. Moody Blvd, Building 2, Bunnell
- Flagler County Public Library, 2500 Palm Coast Parkway N.W., Palm Coast
- Palm Coast Community Center, 305 Palm Coast Parkway NE, Palm Coast
Voting open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day except August 21, when voting is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Supervisor of Elections Office, 175 West Main Street, Lake Butler
All sites open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m, except on Thursday, August 25, when all location are open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Supervisor of Elections Office, 515 North Main Street, Suite 100, Gainesville
- Millhopper Branch Library, 3145 NW 43rd Street, Gainesville
Tower Road Branch Library, 3020 SW 75th Street, Gainesville
Copyright 2016 by WJXT News4Jax - All rights reserved.